Safer Environment and ActivitiesAll organisations involved with children, young people or vulnerable adults must ensure they adopt safe working practice in every area.
Introduction- why do we need this standard?
As a Benefice, we are committed to the safeguarding, care and nurture of all our members.
We recognise that safeguarding is everyone's responsibility.
We are committed to implementing all safeguarding policies and practice guidance issued by the House of Bishops.
We will respond, without delay, to every concern made that a person for whom we are responsible may have been harmed.
We will co-operate fully with statutory agencies during any investigation concerning a member of the church community.
We will seek to ensure that anyone for whom we have pastoral responsibility who has suffered abuse is offered support that meets their needs.
Any queries about this may be directed to our Parish Safeguarding Officer
Click the links below to read our:
- Safeguarding Policy 2022
- Promoting A Safer Church Poster which includes contact details for our Safeguarding Officers
- Safeguarding Action Plan 2021-22
- Church of England Parish Safeguarding Handbook
- Safer Environment and Activities
If there is immediate danger to the child or adult contact the Police.
Otherwise you should contact your activity leader or the Parish Safeguarding Officer or the Rector immediately. They will contact the Diocesan Safeguarding Adviser (DSA) within 24 hours who will advise on next steps.
If neither the PSO or the Rector can be contacted within a few hours, then you should contact the Diocesan Safeguarding Adviser directly. If the PSO, the Rector or the DSA cannot be contacted within 24 hours then you should contact Social Services.
Thames Valley Police (non-emergency)
Revd Canon Toby Wright
07789 741593 email@example.com
Children and Adult’s Social care
MASH Out of Hours Emergency Duty Team
Parish Safeguarding Officer, Alison Spicer
07884 074812 firstname.lastname@example.org
Deputy Parish Safeguarding Officer Sarah Jane Ebanja
07506 515 952 email@example.com
Witney Parish Safeguarding Team
Out of Hours Safeguarding Helpline:
For enquiries outside of operational hours of an urgent safeguarding nature, please call our partners Thirtyone:eight (formerly Churches Child Protection Advisory service (CCPAS)) on +44 (0) 303 003 1111. You will be able to get confidential advice, guidance, and support.
- NSPCC for adults concerned about a child: 0808 800 5000
- Childline for children and young people: 0800 1111
- Action on Elder Abuse helpline: 0808 808 8141
- 24-hour National Domestic Violence helpline: 0808 2000 247
- NAPAC offer support and advice to adult survivors of childhood abuse: 08088010331
- Stop It Now preventing child sexual abuse: 0808 1000 900
- Cruse bereavement helpline: 0808 808 1677
- Family Lives support and advice on family issues: 0808 800 222
- MACSAS for people who have been abused by church officers: 0808 801 0340
- Samaritans for people struggling to cope and needing someone to talk to: 116 123
Some sources of support for victims and families of abuse
Past Cases Review - Do you have information about church-related abuse?
In 2020 The Church of England commissioned a new independent Past Cases Review (PCR2). All parishes in the diocese of Oxford have now fully responded and the independent reviewers will complete their work this summer. The Diocese is making a further call to any individual who wishes to share information or make a disclosure regarding church-related abuse. Please be encouraged to make direct contact with the Diocesan Safeguarding Adviser on the following details:
Any individual who wishes to make representations to the past cases review process, or anyone wanting to give information – or make any disclosures regarding church-related abuse – is encouraged to contact the Diocese of Oxford Safeguarding team by calling 01865 208 290.
Please see our Survivor Engagement Policy for what to expect or further information.
or email firstname.lastname@example.org for urgent safeguarding concerns, Mon to Thurs 9am to 5pm and Fri 9am to 4.30pm.